Sports & Activities
- Ottawa Public Libraries
- Ottawa Hospitals
- Ottawa Weather
- Ottawa Shopping
- Ottawa Rental Guide
- Ottawa Maps
- Ottawa Webcams
- Pay Parking Tickets
- Volunteer Ottawa
- Canadian Authors Association, National Capital Region
- Ottawa Arts Newsletter
- Community Associations
- Ottawa 2020
- Bridal Shows
- Ottawa Hockey Camps
- Heating and Cooling
- Paramount Properties
- Astro Design Centre
- Apartment Guide
- Ottawa Music Store
- Ottawa Limos
- Ottawa Guitar & Piano Lessons
- Canadian Food Processing HR
- Industrial Air Pollution Solutions
- Ottawa Hair Salon
Arts and Culture
Shop Local, Shop Handmade!
Tired of buying the same old things? Uninspired by the mundane? Not looking forward to plodding through your Christmas shopping?
Why not buy handmade, and support your local artisans this holiday season?
Give your loved ones a beautiful, inspiring, unique and handcrafted gift! Whether you're after traditional crafts or edgier, more modern designs, there's something for everyone in Ottawa's creative community. Clothing, artwork, accessories, jewelry and more are all on offer from Ottawa's most innovative artisans.
"Buying handmade is very thoughtful on many accounts: it is good for the environment, it supports local artists, and it truly comes from the heart."
– Jennifer, Ottawa artisan, myjennywren.com
Places to buy handmade & locally-designed gifts in Ottawa:
- The Workshop Boutique: Showcasing the work of talented artisans from our community and beyond, with a huge variety of handmade items including clothing, purses, fashion accessories, home decor, stationery, gifts and much more.
- Eclection: A unique women's shop carrying a variety of locally handmade jewelry and accessories, dedicated to showcasing the work of Canadian artists and designers.
- Planet Botanix: Committed to promoting a green ethic, you'll find a selection of handmade gifts and jewelry here as well as earth-friendly health and body products.
- St. Elmo's Fire: A quirky boutique showcasing the finest in hand-crafted media. A beautiful selection of unique arts and crafts and spirited, original decor. (Grand opening Nov. 29th)
- Sassy Bead Company: Choose from a selection of handmade beaded jewelry or learn how to make your own pieces by attending a crafting workshop.
- Ladyfest Ottawa Craft Sale: "Not your Grandma's craft sale!" Handmade with a fiery DIY spirit, the finds include handmade purses and accessories, silk-screened t-shirts and underwear, guitar straps and photography.
(Don't forget to check out our Bazaar listings in the Events calendar to find news about local craft sales and festive handmade holiday goods! You can also add your own events to our listings for free!)
"Supporting the local handmade movement is so important because it helps keep things out of sweatshops and you know where it's coming from. You can be assured that your item was made with love."
– Redd, Ottawa artisan, DameNamedRedd.com
Find Ottawa's crafters online!
Ottawa's artisans have a strong presence at online handcraft emporium Etsy, where many local crafters have been listing their work for sale and spreading their creativity the whole world wide. See what whimsical things they've been creating lately, grab a gift for a loved one, and don't forget to snag a piece for yourself!
Here are a few of our favourite Ottawa-based Etsy shops:
- 3rdlife: Beautiful accessories made from recycled materials.
- monkeypowered: Unique, quirky prints of works by Ottawa artists
- myjennywren: Edgy, stylish, handmade bags and fashion accessories
- reddhynes: Handcrafted cosmetics and fashion accessories.
- ScatterJoy: Quirky, fun accessories for the offbeat fashionista
- SilverLotus: Costume accessories, beaded jewelry, pins, plushies and more
- squishyfish: One-of-a-kind plush critters chock-full of personality
- tangente: Flirty, stylish women's clothing for ladies with true flair
- TheEnvelopePlease: Lovely eco-friendly and repurposed paper products
- titaniumhip: Sock creatures, cuddly monsters and soft toys
- wispofwhimsy: Handcrafted home decor accents, ornaments and more
- See more items from Ottawa crafters by visiting the Ottawa Etsy Team page
"As an artisan I enjoy supporting others who create. I find handmade items to be more meaningful and interesting, and I can avoid the big box stores and mass production."
– Rebecca, Ottawa artisan, 3rdlife.ca
Support your local artisans!
Take the Handmade Pledge at buyhandmade.org and pick up a button like this one to display on your website or blog. This holiday season, why not give the gift of handmade to your loved ones and to the arts community in your neighbourhood.
"Buying a beautiful, unique gift is only half the joy - the other half comes from knowing that it was made in your community!"
– Bridget, The Workshop Boutique, Ottawa handmade retailer
Did we miss somebody we really should have listed? Let us know where else you find local, handmade goodness for the holidays and all year long. Contact us !
- Bars and Nightclubs
- Fine Dining
- Fresh Fish